Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC) ... more information
My colleague Andy Morgan has put together a useful briefing on the new statutory duties contained in the Carbon Reduction Commitment and what it means for schools. I have blogged about this before, but recommend you view the document that went out with last weeks e-bulletin for up to date details.
- Each April the council has to pay for carbon (estimated £1.4m for KCC)
- This may come back to KCC in October dependent on our position in a 'league table' of carbon reduction.
- All Schools except PFI's count as part of the KCC estate.
- Schools account for 56% of KCC's carbon emissions.
I am still trying to find out:
- If a school operates Extended Services, has community use or rents out sports pitches with flood-lighting, and this increases energy consumption, is this a successful school or one failing to meet carbon reduction targets?
- Will each school be recharged for its carbon emissions every April and get money back in October or will KCC manage this?
The recent zero carbon in schools consultation
shows the direction of travel! ... and its heading south!